Guest: Paul Mangiamele, CEO of Bennigan’s
Paul Mangiamele has an incredible background in the restaurant and hospitality space, focusing on growing great restaurant brands. He was CEO of Dalt’s Classic American Grill (he sold it to TGI Fridays) and Salsarita’s Fresh Cantina (he grew it to 100 locations) before taking on leadership roles at Sylvan Learning Centers, Sports Clips, and Value Place hotel brand. A year and a half ago Paul was hired as CEO of Bennigan’s. In quick fashion, he has achieved significant sales growth, 20% new restaurant growth, and legendary service and food. His goal is to deliver “an experience that goes Above and Beyond the Call of Duty for our guests.” His stated mission is to revolutionize casual dining.
Bennigan’s is the legendary, chef-driven Irish neighborhood pub that is the perfect place to kick back. The menu features a bountiful selection of ice cold beers, specialty drinks and wines, and combines longtime Bennigan’s favorites with innovative new American fare selections. Bennigan’s hospitality is the same you’d experience in a neighborhood Irish pub, genuine, warm and high-spirited. And tap beer comes in true pints (plus a bit more) and a full 6 ounces of wine.
Paul was a great interview. Some of the things we discussed:
- a little about his past at big corps,
- growth plans for Bennigan’s,
- franchise versus corporate ownership of locations,
- international differences, like serving liquor in a Muslim country,
- keeping legendary food favorites while incorporating new trends,
- ABCD, 25/8, bleeding green,
- the 2 to 1 sales to investment ratio, and
- the cost of beef and fiscal concerns of a menu.
Wow, Paul shared a lot of great information in his interview, and really made me want a Bennigan’s franchise! I have a feeling we will be hearing more from Paul soon……