Guest: Dave Hoemann, COO of Giordano’s
Dave Hoemann has helped launch over 50 concepts! And is now Chief Operating Officer at Giordano’s, the nationally recognized Chicago-style pizzeria and home of the stuffed pizza. Dave started out his career as general manager of Lettuce Entertain You in 1987. Years later, he joined the Levy Restaurants team where he directed a small consulting team that provided services to clients ranging from brand management to menu development. Among these clients were Tyson Foods and the NBA.
In March of 2001, Dave went out on his own to create CONCEPTIVITY, a consulting firm specializing in concept ideation, design, menu development, branding and marketing. Throughout his time as owner, he played pivotal roles in the development of two national brands and directed the development of Chicago-based FlatTop Grills.
Now, as COO of Giordano’s, Dave is busier than ever as he helps to guide the rapid growth of a franchise that is quickly attaining the reputation of “Chicago’s best pizza”.
There was some great info from Dave in this interview. Check it out!
Some of the things we talk about…
- having his first job at 5,
- opening an ice cream parlor during a snow storm,
- the value of hospitality school,
- how to teach service,
- the importance of listening to the guest, they will tell you what they want,
- Chez Panisse and Mark Miller, the 2nd celebrity chef,
- what can a brand be based on,
- rebuilding a down and out brand, and
- service as the biggest challenge in the industry.